Saturday 24 July 2021

Raising the Army of the Dead (pt.3) - painting Dire Wolves & Vampires

Assembled some Dire Wolves & old Chaos Hounds (without their mutated horns & tails). OMG these new Wolves are slow to clean... About thrice the time that it takes to paint them. But they look great, and I need lots! I painted the wolf packs outdoors at the cabin. The impact of the weather conditions were surprisingly formidable. One layer of Drakenhof Nightshade wash took several HOURS to dry, as it was so moist and cold. On another day it was so hot that drybrushing became difficult. Even the PVA got glumpy and non-cooperative. 




I also bought the new Vengorian Lord kit. It's among the very few modern GW miniatures that I actually like. Way too much tiny trinkets and useless detail nonsense everywhere. But the look on this guys face, coupled with the positioning of the crooked fingers - I was TRANSFIXED immediately as I saw this miniature. Pure awesomeness. Not sure if I should paint some areas in different colours (than the pale blue-grey with blood splatter everywhere). VERY bloody sword or talons? Blue or white skin? Work and thoughts in progress.


Browsing through the Soulblight book I started to lean towards the Vyrkos Dynasty. So I just had to get Belladamma & Radukar join this army as well. Was going to convert Belladamma from some Reaper Bones miniatures, but in the end just went lazy and bought the actual GW kit. It's okay. Had to save some money on Radukar though, so invested three euros on a nice Bones Werewolf, who was accompanied by two little Vampire lackeys (Lord of the Rings Goblins). Mysterious incident occured, as I was spray MATT varnishing Belladamma (with a brand that I had successfully used for years). The end result wasn't matt for sure. Too thick layer? Too hot weather? Never happened before. Maybe I'll just throw this one away.










No comments:

Post a Comment