Thursday 29 April 2021

+++REDACTED+++ Sculpting a few details, start painting the army

Here's some progress since last friday evening, including that nights marathon session and a few lunch breaks. Sculpted in a few minor details, mostly just Purity Seals and filling of some gaps. Then primed everything Matt Black with Army Painters spray, followed by zenithal coats of Wolf Grey and Platemail Metal from the same brand. I finally chose to steer away from the blue armour scheme I had planned earlier. Too blue and they'd be Ultramarines, while a light blue-grey would easily make them feel like Space Wolves. I wanted neither. And I can always come back later and glaze their armour's blue if I change my mid again.

So I went for grey. I mixed quite a few grey, black, blue & brown paints in a pot, along with some mediums. I've absolutely no idea about any rations, but the end result is a bit darker than the Citadel's Astrogranite Debris for example. Consistency is much like some of the Citadel's contrast paints that don't cover absolutely everything. The whole army was given a thick coat of this new "Redacted Grey" wash, followed by Ash Grey drybrush (I used a cheap one inch super soft make up brush for this and felt great about it!). I think I made slight adjustments to the wash between squads (by adding just a little more blue & black as  I went).

I'm still in the middle of this process, but the formula so far is roughly this: 

* Shoulder pads are painted Off White, then Dead White.

* Shoulder pad rims Matt Black, except for the jump pack guys & Apothecary I used Blood Angels Red. That red also went for all the cloaks on characters.

* Bonewhite for Veteran's cloaks, hoods, loincloths, parchments, actual skulls and skin.

* Volupus Pink on the (Purity) Seals.

* Basilicanum Grey on the Chaplain's armour. 

* Old Gold for important details. I've only painted the golds on the Captain on Bike so far. Won't probably do much of it on regular Tactical dudes. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment