Friday 9 April 2021

Painting the Khorne Lord of Skulls. Continuing sculpting the Heldrakes.

I have to say it has been a bit daunting task to paint this huge demonic engine of Khorne the Blood God. Sure it's big, at least bigger than any miniature I have painted before. And crammed with weird detail that's sometimes hard to decide how to paint. Is it iron, gold, glossy red, sickly skin or something else? Should I just leave certain areas bare and add black and white checker patterns later? Maybe cover it all with blood, transfers or painted runes? Paint the wheels with only very understated dark greys, or make them dirty with lumps of ground and grass textures to kind of match the bases of the other miniature in this army project? Are all (or just some) of the skulls bone colored, or maybe even bright bloody demonic reds? Black horns & teeth? Magenta brain tissue & gums? And very importantly, in which order should I apply any of these colors to not make other steps unnecessarily harder by accident?

Now I've enjoyed every step of the painting of this beast so far, but it has always been a bit difficult to get started. I feel it's because of the uncertainty of it all. Not absolutely sure which step to take next and how to take it. I've been doing this particular project (an army of Chaotic Overlords) for over three months now (and enjoyed everything about it!), but might need something else to do for a change. I've come to accept that these kinds of 2-4 month periods for any army project I have going on are very much normal and okay. I wouldn't even call it fatigue at this point. No need to feel bad about not continuing forever. I've managed to do a lot of assembling, sculpting, converting and painting with this group of big guys that already has started to feel like a proper army. Just have to catch a breath for a few days and see if I'll want to keep working with these guys and maybe even finish them before moving onto something else. Anyways, here's the WIP Lord of Skulls along with a duo of Heldrakes that are almost done with the sculpting phase now. 











No comments:

Post a Comment