Monday 25 January 2021

Trying a paint scheme

I'm trying to make things simple and quick here, again. I notice that has become almost a habit for me recently. It's so easy for me to start making things too complicated when painting. Not necessarily with any difficult techniques, but by using quite a lot of layers that are probably not that important in the end. So it's a constant struggle to try and keep things simple and the number of layers in check.

When painting, some of the main goals for me are 1) getting things finished and 2) enjoy doing it. And I've noticed that if something takes too much time, I tend to find other things to do. A new project perhaps. This leads to a situation where I feel the need for having a rather fast method for painting a small army. I like to get things finished in a regular basis. A unit of rank and file troops or one bigger model over maybe a two days (few hours a day, sometimes more) is very much okay. I'm not trying to break any records or be super fast here, just efficient enough to get things done and not get bored. Also try new things occasionally and have fun.

So I've got this unit of troops on the painting table. They'll be used as regular Chaos Space Marines most likely. Primed with cheap Matt Black spray, with Army Painters Pure Red droplets sprayed on from above. Then I did touch ups with Matt Black and very rough overbrush with Pure Red on a few important looking spots. Red Tone wash all over, with Evil Sunz Red dots and splashes while it was still wet, to create kind of a marbling effect in places. Need to practise this more. Basecoat skulls, scrolls and such with Khaki. Greedy Gold & Oily Steel on metals, followed with Dark Tone, Skeleton Horde, Shining Silver and Bright Gold. Then Bone White & Off White highlights on skulls & scrolls. Off White also for base coating plasma coils, eyes and certain areas of armor that will get checker patterns painted on later. Aethermatic Blue on the plasma coils. Careful Fire Dragon Crimson drybrushes on the red areas. Should have done this stage a lot earlier and not have to bother messing up other areas. I think that's all I've done at this point. 

Still to do: Sharp yellow highlights on a few choice red areas. Satin or Gloss varnish sprayed allover. Blood for the Blood God or Red Tone wash on red parts. Decals. Checker patterns (black sharpie marker with brush, then retouch with Off White). Simple freehand sigils and runes, if I can fit such things anywhere. Touch-ups and picking out details, such as rivets. Maybe Wyldwood all the horse skin areas to make them just plain dark? Or try some unhealthy and pale skin tone? Paint the bases brow, then glue on sand, flock, soil, static grass, tufts, lichen, dirt, rocks and whatnot. Maybe tie those togehter with subtle washes and drybrushed highlights? Try weathering the bases and lower parts of the models with pigment powders. Finally more varnish(es). That's the rough plan!







No comments:

Post a Comment