Friday 29 January 2021

Horse headed troopers painted






I think I had a sensible plan for painting these poor sods. And I didn't stick to it. Should have added the yellow highlights and bloody wash on the red areas before anything else. I was just so anxious to get adding decals and tiny decorations, that they were the next thing I did (after some Gloss Varnish on those areas to provide smooth base to work on). I used Skitarii and Chaos Space Marine (mostly Word Bearer) transfers and Pigma & Centropen sharpie & brush markers. Sealed with spray fixative. 

Flash Gitz Yellow provided highlights for the reds (the consistency was also perfect straight out of the pot), and was followed by a slightly watered down wash of Blood for the Blood God. Seraphim Sepia for dirtying the checkers patterns, shading metals and the scroll. Wyldwood on the horse skin parts, barrel holes and some details such as rivets (those also got tiny Off White dots on). Also Off White for retouching the checker patterns, tweaking some of the transfers and highlighting plasma coils. Not much else, I think? 

Spray Satin Varnish allover. Horse skin parts and the scroll got cheap acrylic hobby matt varnish (by Creotime I suppose) painted on. I've succesully used this on terrain, but it left a pale grey residue showing on the recess (so should have used less I guess. Or just a different brand). Army Painter Gloss Varnish on the most prominent armored red areas (mostly horse heads & shoulder pads).

Sand, flock & static grass on the bases, with some Athonian Camoshade & Mortarion Green washes on few spots, highlighted with drybrushed Moot Green & Poisonous Cloud. The dead grass tufts and some of the static grass were drybrushed with Khaki. I also tried Burnt Umber & Dark Yellow Ochre pigment powders, sealed with Vallejo Pigment Binder. Used so little they don't show much. Matt Black base rim.

No comments:

Post a Comment