Tuesday 13 August 2019

Thoughts about painting the Sylvaneth

This text was written already a few weeks ago, but I only managed to post it now. Oh well...

My aim was to figure out a way to paint an awesome looking Sylvaneth army worth 2000 points, in a way that's both super fast AND fun to do. I started experimenting with a set of 10 Dryads, 5 Spite-Revenants and an allied Elven Hero, all converted, kitbashed and Green Stuffed.

Earlier this year I've kept some notes about the paints and techniques used, and noticed that I put easily around 30 layers of paint even on a basic rank and file Chaos Cultist who always gets shot or demoralized in the first turn of a game. The poor guy has brown clothes and a brown base, and all the metal areas have also gone brown from all the rust that has gathered. For some reason, I'm just not happy with fewer layers.

When a basecoat, wash and a single drybrush might do the trick in many places, I tend to splash in multiples of each. And some technical paint(s). Then just a little bit more rust, dirt and verdigris on eveything, and a final edge highlight. Followed by two layers of varnish, three extra layers of dirty paint water washed on the legs for weathering, blood on the sword, more work on the heap of moss and skulls on the base, then slime and some more rust... You get the picture.

And THEN it's time to highlight it all up again, because everything has gone completely dull by this point!

Speaking of multiple layers of paint, I just managed to visit a couple of great art museums a month ago (Rijksmuseum, Moco and Stedelijk Museums in Amsterdam). Based on how long I could stand watching works like The Night Watch by Rembrandt completely awestruck and drooling, I realise that the layers upon layers of different paints, materials and methods (not forgetting the amount of hard work, talent, and hours spent) corresponds directly to how interested I'm in at staying and marveling at them. Factors related to environment, time and materials (such as actual crackling, real rust etc., even accidents) also seem to help here.

Many "simpler looking" works (generally speaking some pop & street art, for example) might also have a huge wow impact, get their message across or provide inspiration in a blink of an eye, but I noticed that the time it took for me to blink that eye was usually enough, and I could just move on. I'm certainly not disrespecting or downplaying anybody here, on the contrary! Trying to sum it up: more time, effort & paint spent ≈ the longer I look at it. Of course there are limits and exceptions to this, and I'm not gonna spend years painting these Dryads and become sick at even thinking at them, just because I thought it would be cool to put 80 different shades of grey on their barks.

All this rambling came about because I feel that my painting routines lack some coherency. It's nice to experiment and not to have any strict guidelines to follow. Painting could become a chore very easily if I had. But at the same time I feel that half of the time I spend painting is pretty much just going back and forth without actually progressing or achieving anything. Just a little bit of planning beforehand might be the right thing to do.

So I should be:
- relatively fast (because there will be an army to paint)
- still painting countless layers upon layers (to be able to admire them more than a blink of an eye)
- working long hours (even though I'll be quick, there's a lot to be done)
- trying to find the sweet spot of relations between the upper things

This time around I tried to come up with a painting plan I could follow through painting a whole Sylvaneth army. What paints and especially in which order they were applied would be crucial here. Some things might be blended, some wash or highlight could work in multiple parts of a model, a sloppy drybrush here will spoil the surrounding areas, and things need time to dry. So I went to a cabin in the woods again for a few days. Got my newly converted/kitbashed/sculpted Sylvaneth folks and a case of some favourite paints plus a few wild cards with me.

Having somewhat decided on going with the birch skin approach (rather than old pine trees with greyish browns going up to muted oranges), my plan on the colour scheme of the Sylvaneth troops was fairly simple. Most of the models will be almost fully covered in just birch skin/bark, so monotonous and dirty whites, greys and blacks are needed here. The bases will be muted browns (sand, roots, dirt, dead foliage) and some sickly green moss here and there. I'll be painting the mushrooms as fly agarics to get in some contrasting reds with white dots.

By priming the miniatures with black, grey and white spray paints (and creating the zenithal highlight effect), I thought it might be possible to get to around a dozen of layers of paint on them. As the skin/bark would be mostly done with the spray paints already, maybe just a clever glaze/wash to better define the shadows and add some mossy dirt on the models feet, followed with a simple higlight/drybrush on the most prominent areas would be enough? The browns and greens for the base as well as the red mushrooms could be all done with base colour, wash and drybrush.

That was the plan, and it started great. I mixed some Stormvermin Fur with a drop of pretty much all the washes I had available (around ten different browns and greens, with the odd black, orange, red and yellow thrown in as well). I just wanted to play around and find a nice dirty gray shade for glazing the barks, because I felt the white zenithal highlight with pure black armpits was just a bit too garish. All the nice forest folks got a thick layer of this washy grey mess, and were left to dry for a few hours. I returned to the painting table later that night, and found out that the dirty grey tone was just perfect, BUT it had been maybe just a bit too thick, so all the shadows and higlights were gone too dull and really needed to be re-established.

So back to the old habits! The barks were drybrushed with Ash Grey, Pale Grey Blue and Off White, trying hard to keep the zenithal effect intact. Then maybe a three or four careful recess washes to dirty up the feet and shade the armpits and other dark crannys... I tried to keep note on each and every paint and technique I used, and in the end it came to a staggering amount of almost EIGHTY steps of painting on these poor twigs. And a vast majority of those layers were not even visible anymore. A complete opposite of what I was aiming for.

However, there were quite a few places where I had just experimented (such as the Elves cloak and pants) and thus repainted several times. Some areas also needed retouching later, because of the (bad) order I painted them. Okay I'll admit it again, I just love the multiple thick layers of paint... It adds texture and depth, and the more different tones and hues of sickly green moss there are slightly visible on the backside of any Dryads knee, the longer I have enthusiasm and patience to fathom the ultimate awesomeness of such a trivial matter.

All in all, I managed to finish the first bunch of Sylvanethi in a bit under 20 hours. Spent two nights (around four hours each), a complete day (of maybe 8 hours), plus a few hours here and there on basecoating, varnishing and throwing in the biggest pools of washes, so I didn't get to stare and wait that much for the paints to dry.

The notes proved to be super useful when I got back to town, finished converting/building the Treelord Ancient and set to work on painting it. I made proper plans, lined all the necessary paints and brushes on the table, got fresh cleaning water for the second or third time this year and prepared the camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment