Monday 29 July 2019

Another bunch of Dryads

I had an evening of free time a few days ago, and decided to build some more Dryads "real fast". The speed here is a very relative thingy, as I tend to spend a lot of time cleaning up the mould lines, trying different configurations, kitbashing, converting, sculpting, texturing, basing and in many ways getting things done rather slow.

But I tried to be quick here, 'cause I want the army ready for table soon. And lots of these guys are being needed for that. So I emptied some Dryad sprues and got something like:
* 9 torsos
* 8 heads
* ~21 arms/branches/things

These were accompanied by a few bits from other kits, from which I ended up using only a Saurus torso and legs, Ghoul hands plus a cutoff from Treelord Ancients magic staff.  A couple of premade greenstuff tendrils, mushrooms and such were also used.

After cleaning the most apparent mould lines I chopped all the torsos in half. Some were cut from the waist, others lost a leg. Then random(ish) combinations were made. Not that many had any proper "torso with legs pointing in the right direction" conservative nonsense going on. One fellow got one leg and her mate four. My favourite is the one with upside-down turned Saurus torso, whose head is just a ball with some holes. These Dryads are the stuff of nightmares. Spiderlike bushes, creeping harpies flowing in the wind.

The actual Dryad heads are so nice that I had to put all of them on in visible places. The arms/vines/branches/tentacles protruded from quite random places, mostly concentrating on one side or rear. Around 30 extra ones were twisted from wire and added in. Some texture from fine sand, static grass, PVA and Agrellan Earth. Made bases, a couple of extra ones as well. Left to dry and spray paint basecoated the next morning. The whole thing took exactly four hours. Very happy with the results, and I'll be painting these later this week.





No comments:

Post a Comment