Friday 16 April 2021

+++REDACTED+++ Chaplain on Bike, Characters and Tactical Marines. Also trying out a quick paint scheme...

A bit more stuff done this week. Got a nice Chaplain on Bike with loads of skulls and decorations. I'll be doing some sculpting on the details to bring it all together. After a lot of contemplating I decided to use a skull head from Khorne Berzerker for the Chaplain. Those particular heads have been one of the main reasons I don't like too much about the plastic Berzerkers, but after cutting off the evil bunny ears from it, I feel it fits very well for this religious leader of my Space Marines. I also assembled a Chapter Champion and a Lieutenant to support the troops. There's also another combat squads worth of Tactical Marines. Other half of their (yet to be) squad will be riding on a transport with some command figures, bringing their special weapons to bear. 




+++

Tying out a quick paint scheme for the army. 

I might go for painting several squads and characters at once, if this method works out. I dug out a couple of old misused  Chaos Warriors to try things on. There's matt black spray primer, followed by somewhat zenithal dustings of Army Painters Wolf Grey and some cheap silver spray. I'm going for a dusty blue scheme here, with some chips showing on the armor edges, so thought these would provide a nice base to work on. Then I covered everything in heavy wash of diluted Ultramarines Blue Contrast paint. Felt good about this step, but am considering using a bit less diluted paint to get more blue feel overall. Not going exactly for Ultramarines nor Space Wolves here, so it might get a bit tricky. Things will be dirtied down, so no need to be too subtle here, I think.

Then quick drybrushes (with cheap & very soft make up brush) of Pale Grey Blue and Khaki (on the feet). Worked out just great. I'd like to have very strong colors on the shoulder and knee pads, so went for white with black rims, followed with some red details. For the actual Space Marines, I'll be using transfers (mostly black & red, with maybe a few white ones thrown in). To get an idea about how the bases might look, I smeared them with Agrellan Earth Technical paint. Didn't want to put any more time or effort and do proper bases for these test models, so just a little bit of texture will work out just fine. Next I'll cover these dooders with Gloss Varnish spray and try out some oil washes. Then go messy with pigment powders especially on their feet and bases, and see how I feel about them at that point. 




+++

A quick edit here as I made some progress... 

Here they are after a Khaki drybrush on the bases as well, a coat of Gloss Varnish spray, and oil washes (diluted with Hanart odorless spirits) of Ultramarine Blue (more on bigger armor plates), Raw Umber (especially on feet) and Lamp Black (mostly around rivets and such). Looks surprisingly great for such an effortless job. I'm feeling very hopeful about this method already. Just imagine some proper clean-cut transfer symbols on the black & white Marine shoulder pads here and get in the mood for praising the Emperor! Now I'll just have to wait for the oil washes to dry for a while and go crazy with the pigment powders.


+++

No comments:

Post a Comment