Friday 3 April 2020

No more Ogors... Cities of Sigmar here we come!

The period of building and painting miniatures for Ogor Mawtribes wasn't that long this time. I thought I had enough enthusiasm to finish a dozen or so models. Spent a few days mixing an EP for a friends band I recorded last year. After that the Ogors didn't seem that interesting anymore. Plus I had ran out of Green Stuff I direly needed for sculpting some horns and other details.

One night I grabbed the Cities of Sigmar book that was laying around at the bedside table. So many cool options to go for with the army build. I had been resisting the temptation to start building this army for a couple of months, because I had felt like doing something else than a horde army for a change (after last years Iron Warriors, Sylvaneth, Ork and Nurgle projects). But since there's so many different options in the book, I decided to have a go!

I wanted to have Griffin, Gyrocopters, Chariots, Phoenixes, Dragons, Luminarks - all of that. And some cavalry, lots of Battlemages, Flagellants.. and why not bring in the hordes of Handgunners, Spearmen and Greatswords as well! So all the good stuff I feel like adding as I go along.

Yesterday I scavenged through all the way too numerous bits boxes, drawers, crates, cases, bags and shelves to find some/any suitable miniatures for this project. I remembered having some plastic Bretonnians from an old Warhammer boxed set, with a few random leftover models from my old Empire army (from the 90's I unfortunately sold to somebody at some point). I also had at least half a box of the newer Flagellants. And then it dawned to me I had bought a box of random Empire Militia and Knight models a while ago. There should also be the set of historical riflemen that could proxy as Handgunners!

In the end I found an absolute crapload of suitable miniatures for this army. I estimate there's close to TWO HUNDRED infantry models and close to FIFTY cavalry models (50/50 heavy and light ones). Some characters, cannons and whatnot. However, there weren't ANY of those juicy behemoth types I had initially been drooling about. So I'll probably have to start building some winged monsters and war machines from scratch.

However, I decided to start with something simple, so sorted out some bits for 10 Flagellants. Did minor kitbashing and converting. Three are now done. The paint scheme for this army will likely be something close to the old gang for Necromunda I did almost two decades ago. They were painted very quickly and sloppily. The tabletop presence is very nice however, and I really need a paint scheme that's super fast. That'll be black spray undercoat, dark brown drybrush on leather and wood, golden details and basic skin tone. Wash everything with brown. Highlight skin, pick out some details with red, fiery orange, bone and white - these will all be just two layers each hopefully. Classic base top with green sand/static grass, drybrushed over. Heavy gloss varnish allover. Done.

Sounds simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment