Friday 3 September 2021

Dark Mechanicum project (pt.4) - Kastelan Robots, Characters, Rangers and Dunecrawler

For the last week or so I've been planning on yet another army project - Age of Sigmar Slaves to Darkness with lots of chariots and characters to be precise. I almost started working on those, but in the end managed to keep building this Dark Mechanicum force. It can get tiresome to do an army project like this with lots of kitbashes and scratch builds involved. It's a continuous effort to come up with new ways to combine things and create something a bit different. Brains and hands do need other kinds of activities every once in a while, to keep them brisk and motivated. 

I was having my doubts about continuing with this project when building the Kastelan Robots. What kept me going in the end was that I counted up the points cost of the army assembled so far. Think it was 1155 points back then. I decided that I would add another 345 points worth of models to that, so I would have a nice 1500 points force ready for table. The easiest way to achieve this seemed to be adding a few characters (that I needed and wanted to include anyways) and another unit of Skitarii Rangers that was already partly assembled by someone else (I had bought them from a Facebook marketplace a good while ago). And now I have a patrol detachment primed (with Wolf Grey by Army Painter) and textured (with Agrellan Earth & Astrogranite Debris technicals by Citadel). OH YEAH, HOW NICE!!!

The Kastelan Robots were kitbashed with WizKids Iron Golems. I really like those miniatures, and the one here that has just the actual Kastelan fist, gun and backpack attached to the Iron Golem is my favorite one of the bunch. One got a grill from an earphone as a face.

What else? I cut the Tech Priest Dominnus in half and inverted it's lower body. Another Tech Priest got parts from Kataprhon kit. The two "Tech Priests" of a lesser rank I left unconverted, as the metal models are just super cool already (one is an Auto Quill Servitor and another a Dialogus). Two metal Cawdor gangers (also super duper cool) from the original Necromunda range also got to join the hooded ranks of the Rangers. To the big Dunecrawler contraption I added more strings, cables and rivets everywhere. 

Now I'm just waiting for the crackle paint to dry and get painting!













 

No comments:

Post a Comment