Friday 30 August 2019

Big Necromunda buildings READY (pt.11)

Big Necromunda buildings a.k.a. The Towers of Thousand Tonnes a.k.a. TTOTT are now finished! Yay!

For the last two weeks I've been putting on the final touches on The Towers, an hour here and there, plus two nightshifts. Subtle highlights by drybrushing, several more rusty washes and dirty paint waters to stain everything, create pools and drips all around.

One major personal level discovery happened also...

I tried Liquitex BASICS Burnt Umber acrylic for painting the rust. Somehow I had kind of dismissed it before as being "just one of those cheap hobby paints with nothing that spectacularly interesting going on". Still used it a lot before on muddy mixes. Again I just grabbed the nearest dark brown there was lying around on the table. Drybrushed it on a few ladders, kind of meh... too translucent and weird orangey poo tone going on. What if I work it a little bit? Nice blend! Well what if there's thicker layer dabbed on top with the tips of a hard bristle brush? Deep brown with distinct little chips appear, MAGNIFICENT!!! So out of one paint I got easily two or three different translucencies, shades and textures going on. Looking very realistic and rusty to my eye.

I just had to double check the text details on this tube. Usually they dont tell much, but this one had a list of ingredients: some medium, and as a sole pigment there was IRON OXIDE. So basically I tried to paint rust with actual rust, right? It looked fabulous, and was followed by careful edge drybrushes with Citadel Necron Compound (and rusty ochra washes).

The tiny egg/pearl growth got a dull green glaze (mixed from all the green washes, glazes and paints from Citadel and Army Painter I got at hand), then verdigris-coloured drybrushes with Citadel Hellion Green and Vallejo Model Color Verdigris Glaze (that ain't no glaze but a regular paint, at least the bottle I've got).

Added a few dozen posters/signs on the walls with napkin glue. They got matt varnish and even more dirty washes on top. I had to cut up a few magazines for the materials because I couldn't find my old stash of suitable little pictures (found it the next day of course). Got some album covers, (dis)motivational healthcare quotes and other completely non-Necromundian cutouts on the walls now. Most are located in the darkest corners and above doors, so mainly not visible from the usual gamers perspective.

Last night I felt like maybe the organic/alien shell and mushroom growths should've been made more distinguished, and there could be blood stains and slime and graffitis and all that added, but it was already 3am so I decided to call it a day and not put any more different colours in. The mushrooms would look nice with some yellow & red dots on though...

Here they are, with two examples of possible configurations for assembling them together.







No comments:

Post a Comment