Thursday 6 June 2019

Plaguebearers on budget (first batch of 5 models)

Just found some pics from the micro sd of my old swollen & broken smartphone (R.I.P.). 


So, last spring I thought my Nurgle hordes for 40K & AoS needed some big unit(s) of Plaguebearers. I had a box of the new plastic ones and a few older metallics, but decided to build a much bigger group from scratch, with not spending huge amounts of money on them. Found some toys from local flea markets & my own stash of old stuff. Some melting, cutting and adding of a few choice miniature bits, jewellery chain, pearls & beads, guitar strings, wire, static grass and sand. The models were glued on approximately right sized buttons. Dirt cheap!

I base coated the models with cheap & bright green acrylic paint, and put puddles of Citadel technical paints on top. I drybrushed them with few coats of successively even brighter and cheaper greens. Final drybrush and dot highlights were done with Off White. Amarillo Yellow and Green Tone for glazing, and some heavy Game Color Flesh Wash spots on specific details. Now that's one of my absolute favorite paints! When applied gently, it just slightly dulls/warms up the colour underneath, but a thick layer will cover up even black. So I think it's very useful in blending things together, or as a rust/dirt effect. 




More drybrushing and highlights with Barbarian Flesh, Khaki and Off White again. Gun Metal and Flesh Wash to the chains and swords. Then Amarillo Yellow ink was used to glaze the green and yellow parts in multiple careful layers, a little Fuegan Orange on the horns/metals/edges/holes, and Nurgles Rot to glaze/shade and blend different coloured areas together. Green Tone for more shading and definition, plus another long time favorite for highlighting: Titillating Pink! I actually found a half used/half dry Monster Paint Set from the flea market just last spring for 0.5€, with that pink paint still intact!






Even more contrast was created with Red/Soft/Green Tones, Necron Compound, Titillating Pink and Fuegan Orange. Castellan Green for the base edges, and this first batch of Plaguebearers was almost ready. I decided to make 15 more of them, before putting any final touches and varnish on them...

No comments:

Post a Comment